Friday, January 26, 2007

Number 7 - Technology in my family life

Several years ago, I was one of those moms who said "No" every time my kids asked for a video game system. I assumed they would sit around all day and dull their brains. Of course, they finally prevailed, although not until the PlayStation 2 arrived on the scene. Soon, an XBox and GameCube joined the club. Then my oldest daughter, an artist, discovered she really, really liked video games. Now, how could she combine her artistic skills with this wonderful world of games? By enrolling at the Savannah College of Art & Design, majoring in Interactive Design and Game Development (http://www.scad.edu/academic/majors/itgm/index.cfm). I'd never thought about it before we investigated colleges, but as much art work and technical skill goes into game design as it does in movies. There's even crossover in the industries. Her dad and I are very proud of her foray into this male-dominated field, and can't wait until she designs the next HALO. Oh yeah, she now has a PlayStation 3 and a WII, too.

1 comment:

Mrs. Ketron said...

I, too, said "No!" to video games for a time. That was until I tried to play some of them! They are mentally challenging and many involve lots of reading!!! My son loves RPGs while the "old" N64 Beetle Adventure Racing is more my speed! :-)

I'm going to pass along the college link to my son. He has expressed an interest in video game design. Thanks for the link!